Healthy Turkey Chili
Packing lunch for work each day can seem like an annoying and daunting task. Having an easy and simple meal prep recipe can help you avoid eating out for lunch and instead of taking a healthier route! Check out this healthy turkey chili recipe!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total time: 1 hour 15 min
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 medium onions – diced
- 2 bell peppers – any color, cored and chopped
- 2 large carrots – peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery – diced
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 1/2-2 cups water – more as needed
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes in their juices
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sweet potato
- Sliced fresh avocado
- Thinly sliced jalapeno
- Shredded cheese
- Plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, onions, bell peppers, carrots, celery, and sweet potato. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Add the turkey and cook until browned, 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often to break up the chunks.
- Once the meat is browned, add 1 ½ cups water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes in their juices, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a moderate bubble. Let cook, uncovered until the chili thickens, about 45 minutes, stirring every so often so that the chili does not stick to the bottom. If the chili becomes too thick, add a little water to reach your desired consistency
- Toward the end of the cooking time, taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Add more cayenne pepper for an extra kick and more salt and pepper as needed. Served hot with desired toppings.
Notes: Store leftover chili in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or freeze for 3 months.
Amount per serving (1(of 8), about 2 cups), Calories: 227, Fat 10g, Saturated Fat: 2g. Cholesterol: 91mg, Sodium: 741mg, Carbohydrates: 14g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar 4g, Protein: 24g
Click here to view the whole recipe.