Save time and calories by eating the burrito in a bowl instead of wrapped! This great low-calorie dinner recipe will be a new family favorite!
⏰ Prep time: 10 minutes
⏰ Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 15 oz can reduced-sodium red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 cup of water
- 3, 6-inch whole wheat tortilla, cut into 1-inch strips
- ¾ cup reduced-fat Mexican shredded cheese
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil and onion, cooking the onion for 2-3 minutes
- Add the turkey, breaking it up as it cooks
- When the meat is fully cooked, add the spices – chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and paprika. Stir it all together with the meat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the beans, salsa, and water. Stir everything together. Cook at a low simmer for 4-5 minutes
- Stir in the tortilla strips, make sure to push them around the pan so they are coated and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and add the cheese over the top. Let stand until the cheese has melted.
- Top with your favorites, avocados, tomatoes, sour cream, and green onions.
Per serving: (1 cup)
Calories from fat: 95
Saturated fat: 4g