🍽 Here is a healthy take on that Sweet and Sour Chicken indulgence you’re craving! This baked sweet and sour chicken recipe will rock your taste buds with a fraction of the calories of the original!
⏰ Prep time: 10 minutes
⏰ Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 ¾ cups
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz can juice paced pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon less sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon stevia
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and coat an 11x inch baking dish with cooking spray
- Place chicken and 1/3 cup of cornstarch in a large resealable bag. Seal and shake the bag a couple of times or until the chicken is coated evenly
- In a wok or large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned all over but not cooked through. Turn the chicken occasionally. And then remove from the heat
- Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice for the sauce.
- In a bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, ketchup, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, stevia, red pepper flakes, and remaining 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch.
- Place the browned chicken pieces in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Then add the pineapple chunks, onion, red bell peppers, and yellow bell peppers. Then pour the sauce evenly over the chicken and veggies.
- Cover the baking dish loosely with foil and bake until the sauce is bubbling and the chicken is cooked through. This should take around 45 minutes. Stir the chicken mixture and rotate the pan front to back halfway through.
- Serve garnished with green onions.
Per serving (1 ¾ cups):